Zeroth Energy System
Comfortable living with Zeroth
For those that aspire to live in a modern city apartment, an unfortunate by-product of the desire for acres of glass and the need to reduce urban noise and exclude pollution are hot, stuffy living spaces.
The complexity and cost of incorporating both heating and cooling into a building’s design will typically result in a premium price tag for an apartment’s owner or tenant.
Keeping a living space comfortably warm or pleasantly cool should not be seen as a luxury, but as a basic requirement for living in any modern building.
With the inclusion of a Zeroth Energy System, making clever, cost effective, use of lower temperature water throughout your building, you have the assurance of well-balanced and comfortably controlled temperature within your apartment and communal areas. It also means your building and lifestyle are more environmentally friendly, using and losing less energy.
The Zeroth Energy System provides heating, cooling and hot water services to residential or commercial spaces using a network of water-water heat pumps. The heat pumps are connected to an energy loop, which is a water circuit maintained at between 15⁰C and 25⁰C. The energy loop is maintained within operating parameters using centralised heating and a cooling plant. The heat pump in each apartment or commercial space can then be connected to a range of emitters including fan coils, radiators, underfloor heating or fan convectors. Hot water is provided by a localised cylinder, which is charged by the heat pump.
The overall benefits of the Zeroth Energy System include:
- Reduced corridor temperatures
- Reduced apartment overheating
- Provision of both heating, hot water and cooling services via a 2 pipe network
- Significantly improved energy performance of the thermal network, up to 90% reduction in losses when compared to traditional CHP/boiler designs with heat interface units
- No requirement for refrigerant pipework or leak detection devices
- Improved system redundancy, through modular design